Due to the joy of being on high doses of prednisone for a time (story for another day), I’m cutting as much sodium out of my diet as possible, so I don’t end up resembling my 5th grade self – the first time I experienced my love-hate relationship with this drug.
So, anyway, I’ve been experimenting with home made alternatives to pre-packaged, over salted foods. For dinner tonight, we’re having salmon, and I decided to make something with quinoa on the side.
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2-4 oz toasted pine nuts
- 4 cups kale, torn into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups unsaltedÂ chicken stock
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed, if dried, reconstituted)
- Rinse and prepare theÂ quinoa according to package directions. Here, I’m using the chicken stock instead of water for cooking the quinoa.
- While the quinoa is simmering, toast the pine nuts on medium to low heat in a sautÃ©Â pan.
- Set toasted pine nuts aside, and sautÃ©Â the kale, sun dried tomatoes, and garlic with olive oil in the same pan.
- When quinoa is ready, combine with the kale, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, and pine nuts,Â and serve.