Mandel brot (bread) is basically Jewish biscotti. In fact, when Starbucks started selling their packaged biscotti, I said, â€œHuh? What? Thatâ€™s mandel bread!â€ My grandmother (on my dadâ€™s side) made amazing mandel bread, so I recently asked my aunt to dig up the recipe for me. I decided to try and make it for myÂ daughterâ€™s International Potluck Luncheon at preschool. It turned out great â€“ just like Grandmaâ€™s.
- Â½ c butter (1 stick)
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t almond extract
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- Â½ c chopped almonds or walnuts
- Cream butter & sugar.
- Add eggs and flavorings and mix well.
- Add flour, sifted with baking powder.
- Add nuts
- Grease cookie sheet.Â Form dough into three or four loaves. The loaves donâ€™t spread much during baking â€“ they pretty much keep their shape.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min.
- Slice while hot and turn each slice on its side.
- Return to oven and bake 10 min. longer.