With St. Patrick’s Day looming, I thought it only appropriate to post this recipe for Irish Soda Bread. The recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law, Heloise. Having married into an Irish family, I’ve found that soda bread recipes are numerous and varied. But, this one is my favorite.
Warning: Do not attempt without a stand mixer (likeÂ Kitchen Aid), or MAJOR hand/wrist/arm strength.
- 4 C flour
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Â½ tsp salt
- Â¼ lb butter
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 C raisins
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- Blend (using bread hook) flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter.
- Add sour cream and eggs. Blend well.
- Add raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Pour into two greased & floured loaf pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 45 more minutes.
Enjoy warm or cooled, with or without butter.