I got two early Mother’s Day gifts – an Instant Pot and an immersion blender. A couple of days ago, I got to use both to make egg bites. These kick my Omelette Muffin Cups in the ass (probably a combo of the cottage cheese and cooking method for the fluffy, sous-vide-like texture)! If you don’t have a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot, you can certainly give these a try in a 350 degree oven for 20 or so minutes. Here’s the rundown.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 10 g baby spinach
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup water
- chives (for garnish)
- Cook the bacon. My favorite method is grilling. If you do this, be sure to turn the strips continuously to avoid burning from grease flares.
- Chop the cooked bacon and baby spinach.
- Combine eggs, cottage cheese, bacon, and spinach in a large bowl.
- Using an immersion blender, mix well. If you don’t have an immersion blender, a whisk will do.
- Pour or ladle the egg mixture into a silicone mold and cover. Mine came with a silicone cover. If yours does not, foil will work.
Note: most recipes call for spraying cooking spray on the mold first. I find this is not only unnecessary, but it will ruin your silicone mold. Don’t do it!
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker).
- Lower the filled silicone mold carefully into the pot, and close the lid.
- Set the steam vent to sealing.
- Cook at high pressure for 10 mintues.
- When the 10 minutes are up, carefully turn the steam vent to venting (quick release). Be careful not to touch the hot steam as it’s really hot.
- Once the steam is all vented, you may open the pot and remove the mold.
Sure, you can eat them immediately, but you can also store them in the fridge for up to seven days, making for a perfect weekly meal prep item (if you’re into that kind of thing). They make a great breakfast, lunch or snack option. You can sub in lots of different ingredients:
- Turkey bacon
- Canadian bacon
- Scallions (or other onions)
- GruyÃ¨re, gouda, or other cheeses
- Bell Peppers
The possibilities are endless! What’s your favorite combo?
Nutrition info (from My Fitness Pal):
Yield: 7 servings. Per serving: calories: 77, total fat: 5g, cholesterol:Â 112Â mg, sodium: 185mg, total carbs: 1g, protein:7g