A while back, I became intrigued by the idea of overnight oats. I tried once or twice, then gave up because they were just ok. Recently, I decided to try again and hit the jackpot!
First, I made the decision to use steel cut oats. Partially because I’d never had them before, and also because I’m trying to eat more cleanly in that I’m trying to minimize my processed food intake (most days).
After choosing your oats, it’s really up to you. Here’s my take on it.
- 1 cup kefir (or your favorite drinkable yogurt or milk).
- 2 tablespoons steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup frozen or dried berries (I use frozen).
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a jar or other container with a lid, combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Leave in fridge overnight.
That’s it! I’ll make 2-3 days worth in one go to save time.
I’ve had this for both breakfast and lunch. Filling, heart-healthy, and oh so delicious!
Nutrition Info (Calculated using MyFitnessPal): Calories: 322, Carbs: 39.1g, Fat: 10.8g, Protein: 16.9g
Pardon the less-than-professional photos. I had to play with my new phone camera.