People. I’m obsessed with this pesto!
In my everlasting quest to find more varied ways to incorporate veggies in my meals, I decided to give zoodles another try. I did what most people do – I googled zoodle recipes. This one jumped out at me, and I decided to give it a try. I didn’t change the original too much except to say that I strongly feel the original blogger’s substitutions with almonds and parsley are not the way to go.
Here’s the lowdown:
- 1 cup fresh kale
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of one lemon (or 2 if your lemon isnâ€™t very juicy)
- Rinse and drain all of your leafy greens well.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until mostly smooth (or until you reach desired consistency). This will make about 2 cups of pesto.
- Set aside one cup for this recipe and save the other cup for something else later (you can freeze it or keep it on hand in the fridge because it goes really well on just about anything).
- Pour it over your favorite pasta or pasta substitute. Or put it on a burger. Or scoop it up with some crusty bread. Or cram a spoonful in your mouth.
* When you’re finished, don’t forget to check your teeth for green bits left behind!