‘Tis the season to be foodie…. fa la la la la… la la la la. Yes, I’m just chock full of recipes this time of year. This one is perfect for New Year’s Day breakfast. It’s a make ahead casserole. My mom discovered this at a B&B a few years ago, and we’ve had it at every family brunch since then. I also make it for Christmas morning. There aren’t words to express how yummy this is. Unfortuately, I forgot to take photos when I made it for X-Mas, so you’ll have to deal without the imagery. I’ll try to photograph when I make it next, and then add the pics to this post later.
- 1 loaf of French (or Italian) Bread
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 3 T Karo Syrup
- 1 T vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 C milk
- To make the caramel mixture, melt butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup over medium heat while stirring.
- Bring to boil and then pour into a very lightly greased 9×13 casserole.
- Slice bread into 1-inch widths and lay over caramel mixture.
- Mix eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over bread.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.