This is totally not an original recipe. It comes from the originally titled “Turkey Sausage and Pepper Sauce” recipe inÂ Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes (2002). It’s the only recipe in the book that I come back to. I’m blogging it not only to share with you, but so IÂ have it at my fingertips without having to drag out the cookbook. It’s easy, yummy, and chock full of veggies.
- 1 1/2Â l lbs uncooked sweet (or hot, depending on your preference) Italian turkey sausage
- 2 cans (14Â oz. each) diced peeled tomatoes (or 6 large fresh tomatoes chopped and peeled)
- 2 green and/or yellow peppers, cut into strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (6 oz. each) Italian-style tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Angel hair pasta (or other pasta style of your choosing)
- Remove casings from sausage. In a large skilled, cookc turkey sausage until brown.
- Drain off fat and transfer cooked sausage to a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Stir in tomatoes (do not drain), peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, black pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Serve over cooked pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired. A side of garlic bread goes well with this too.