Last weekend, my brother (we’ll call him (Bernard”) came over for a distanced dinner on our deck. Hubs grilled, natch. We had amazing barbacoa tacos, grilled asparagus, refried
alpo beans, and Bernard brought his homemade guac and salsa. The salsa was so good (I had it on my egg bites at lunchtime today), I just had to get his permission to share his recipe.
Here it is, in his own words (more or less):
Iâ€™ll never buy store bought salsa again!! Okay maybe in a pinch but damn the following is SO GOOD!
- 28oz can of fire roasted tomato crushed. (Yes canned. I mean if you wanna roast your own shit, go ahead!)
- Â¼ cup white onion chopped
- 2 small (or 1 medium) cloves fresh garlic chopped. Full disclosure, I usually use 2 small to medium, no vampires in my house!
- Â½ cup cilantro (love this stuff)
- 1 jalapeno*
- Juice from Â½ a lime (Unless itâ€™s one of those dry ass limes then use it all!)
- Â¼ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
*mild – Â½ jalapeno without seeds, medium whole jalapeno without seeds, hot whole jalapeno with seeds
**I like to roast my jalapenos then sweat â€˜em covered in a bowl for 20 min, remove the char, dice it up and toss it in, seed and all. I usually pay for it later but worth it!
- In a food processor, (hope you have one but by hand will do for sure!) blend tomatoes, garlic, onions and jalapeno* for about 10 sec.
- Add cilantro and lime juice, blend for 5 sec.
- For a smokey flavor, add smoked paprika and blend 5 sec.
- Add a pinch of sea salt. Not too much, canned tomatoes usually have enough.