A friend of a friend (named Heather) made this salad when a bunch of us went to Ravinia to see Train. It was phenomenal. So much so that I had to Facebook stalk her to get the recipe for her dressing. It’s that good. She told me that the recipe originated with her sister-in-law. Here it is as she gave it to me, with one difference. Where Heather used canola oil, I used extra light olive oil.
- 3/4 cup extra light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (I like to use fresh squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I use kosher)
- garlic (5-7 crushed cloves or 2-3 teaspoons minced from a jar)
- 1 pinch of pepper
- shredded parmesan cheese
- sliced almonds
- romaine hearts (up to 6-9)
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and pepper in a jar or salad dressing container that you can close tightly.
- Shake and refrigerate overnight. The longer it sits, the better it tastes!
- Wash and cut lettuce. Toss with parmesan, almonds, and dressing (to taste). That’s it!
If you want to make a meal out of it, adding grilled chicken or fish goes very well.
Dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
*** 8.23.20 Update ***
I have found that this salad dressing also makes an excellent seasoning prep for stuffed mushrooms or your favorite roasted veg (green beans, asparagus, broccoli, etc.).